How to improve your digital content using appropriate typography?
When you create content, one thing you must take care of is the balance of graphics and text. This is where typography comes in as it attracts the user to read the text. Typography is mainly customizing the text according to the design to make it aesthetically pleasing. Also, it sets the tone of the design and ensures a great user experience.
Why is typography important?
A website’s graphical balance, a strong visual hierarchy, and the overall tone of the product can all be established with good typography. Typography should guide and enlighten your users, improve readability and accessibility, and provide a pleasant user experience.
- builds brand recognition
- influences decision making
- holds the attention of the readers
Typography is a two-dimensional architecture, based on experience and imagination, and guided by rules and readability. ― Hermann Zapf
Typography in Digital Media
The most popular methods for achieving emphasis in digital media are comparable to those used in print, but with one key difference: on-screen typography typically has a fluid appearance rather than a fixed appearance. Due to variations in scale, resolution, and settings across multiple devices, it can vary from viewer to viewer.
Some of the most popular methods for emphasizing content in digital media include:
This soft form of emphasis draws attention without significantly changing the color of the text, so can be used as often as necessary in running text. Even if italics or obliques stand out, they also seamlessly merge in with the rest of the type.
Using a bold or heavier font to emphasize a point is a more direct method that can immediately draw the viewer’s attention to crucial information. Avoid overusing weight contrast within the text, as it creates a somewhat harsh interruption in the color of the type.
Setting a word or short phrase in all caps within the text may be appropriate when a very strong emphasis is desired. However, running text can disturb the rhythm and flow of reading.
The use of color can achieve eye-catching emphasis. It improves the overall look of the page and draws attention to the type without changing the typestyle or any other formatting.
Important aspects of Typography
These aspects help to make written language legible, readable and appealing to the user. It plays a crucial role in shaping the user experience and can greatly impact the way users engage with and understand your content.
Choosing a font
One of the most important aspects of typography is choosing a clear and legible font. The font you choose should be easy to read and understand, even in small sizes. Some popular font choices for digital content include Arial, Calibri, and Georgia. These fonts have been designed with digital screens in mind and are easy to read on both desktop and mobile devices. However, it’s important to keep in mind that legibility is not only about the choice of font, but also about the size and spacing of the letters.
Appropriate Font Sizes
The size of the font you use can greatly impact the user experience. Headings and titles should be larger and more prominent than the body text, this helps to create a clear hierarchy and makes it easy for users to scan the content and find the information they are looking for. As a general rule, headings should be at least 2–3 times larger than the body text. Additionally, it’s important to ensure that the font size is large enough to be easily readable on all devices, including smartphones and tablets.
The color of the font is also an important aspect of typography. Black or dark gray fonts are the most legible and easiest to read on light backgrounds. If you decide to use a colored font, it’s important to ensure that there is enough contrast between the font color and the background color. This is especially important for users with visual impairments, as low contrast can make text difficult to read. The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) recommend a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 for body text and 3:1 for large text.
Typography rules to follow
- Keep the number of fonts to a minimum. As long as there is coherence in the pairing, don’t be afraid to use fonts from other typeface families.
- Exercise proper alignment. In typography, alignment is an imperative concept. Left alignment, also known as Flushed Left, is the most prevalent orientation utilized in almost everything since it is easy on the eyes. Right alignment, also known as Flushed Right, can be used to arrange text neatly on one side, but only when it is applied correctly.
- Incorporate visual hierarchy. Typographic hierarchy is a method of emphasizing the importance of certain lines of type over others. The order in which the audience receives information from the UI UX design is therefore established and modified.
- Use grids to your advantage. It is what gives everything a sense of unity and harmony.
- Prioritize readability. Make sure your message is clear in whatever form it takes.
- Avoid stretching fonts. Stretching a font reduces its effectiveness and worth. There is a method to accomplish this without altering the typeface. The seemingly limitless selection of typefaces available online allows you to select tall or wide fonts.
- Find a source of inspiration. Examining current typeface illustrations is the best approach to learning how to design efficient and appealing typography. Look for typefaces and graphics that grab your attention and inspire you to up your game.
Typography is frequently underestimated, but it is an essential component of UI and UX design. If you need help upgrading your product experience through aesthetically pleasing and functional design, connect with our ux ui design service team at Neointeraction design.
Design Resources For Typography
- Google fonts: It's a popular distributor of free and open source fonts with thousands of fonts available in multiple languages, and remains one of the best resources for designers and any who wants to download typefaces.
- Free Design Resources: Tons of design assets including fonts are available to download for free on this platform.
- The Velvetyne Type Foundry: One can use and modify all of their fonts for free. Additionally, this platform accepts submissions if you’re interested in creating your own font which they will feature and distribute your custom on their website if accepted.
- FontJoy: This platform will make your life easier, It will automatically generate combinations of fonts that share a theme but also have contrast.